Tuesday, November 29, 2016

CFU "Buffer" Assay

If you paid any attention to the name of this blog you can figure we had a little mix up at the beginning of the Assay. When we were creating our liquid culture we were using SDS BUFFER instead of LB/Broth. SDS is a Sodium Diliatial Sulfate one of the main ingredients of Dish Detergent. When we did the liquid culture the bacteria died, which is what we ended up putting in the spectrophotometer and spreading on the plates. You can't get colonies with dead bacteria then it wouldn't be a Colony Forming Unit Assay.

We didn't realize that we had the wrong liquid until we got to time point 6.5. Sadly, we had already streaked the plates and made the serial dilutions for the experiment. Although this was an epic fail we still got a good test run of all the new techniques we thought of. We ended up making a new starter culture the next day and still put the O.D. numbers into the spreadsheet.

Attached HERE is the link to our redo of the liquid cultures O.D. numbers
Sheet 1 contains our O.D. numbers and the timepoints which we took them at
We started the experiment on November 9, 2016 at 8:00 am with time point 0 and it ended at November 10, 2016 at 8:00 am at time point 24 (meaning 24 hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment